Getting your children’s devices set up safe will help you make sure that they get the best out of their device.Our checklist gives you some simple tips to give you a head start.
Our checklist gives you some simple tips to give you a head start.
Checklist: Set up kids’ tech devices with safety settings
- Set parental controlson your broadband toprevent your childrenseeing things they shouldn’t.
- For smartphones, check parental controls are also set up on the mobile network
Set up the device safely
- Use the device setting so you can only download age appropriate apps and games.
- Disable location services so your child doesn’t unintentionally share their location with others.
- Set up password control or disable in-app purchasing so big bills are not run up accidentally.
- Download age-appropriate apps you’re happy for your child to use.
Talk about staying safe online
- If your children are 8-10 years old, download InternetMatters app(android/App store), our new parent/child app to help you talk about e-safety issues in an interactive way.
- Be aware of key issues and how to discuss them with your children so they know how to stay safe online.
- If your child is using social networking apps check their profile and privacysettings, making sure they are not sharing personal or private informationwith people they do not know.
More to explore
See related advice and practical tips to support children online:
Related Web Links
UKSIC’s – Parents’ Guide to Technology