Do you want to manually install Windows 10 20H2 update instead of the latest Windows 10 update? This guide teaches you how to install Windows 10 20H2 Update manually.
By Victor Ashiedu | Updated August 18, 2022 | 12 minutes read
In section one of this article, I’ll show you how to install Windows 10 update 20H2. However, if you want to install the latest Windows 10 update manually, you can use the steps in section two.
In addition to the two sections I already introduced, I also have a section dedicated to answering Frequently Asked Questions about Windows updates. Furthermore, the FAQ section also answers questions about Windows 10 20H2 Update.
Browse Post Topics
How to Manually Install Windows 10 20H2 Update from Microsoft Update Catalog
As I said in my introduction, follow the steps in this first section if you want to install Windows 10 20H2. However, if you want to manually install the latest Windows 10 update, use the steps in the section instead.
To manually install Windows 10 20H2, you need to download the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog site. However, you need to download the update for your PC’s processor architecture.
So, in the first sub-section of this section, I have detailed the steps to find the processor architecture of your Windows 10 PC. Once you have determined your PC’s processor architecture, use the steps in the second sub-section to download and install Windows 10 20H2 update.
Check Your Windows 10 PC’s Processor Architecture
- Search cmd using your Windows 10 search. Then, from the search results, open Command Prompt.
- When Command Prompt opens, type the command below and press enter key on your keyboard.
systeminfo | find "System Type"
The above command displays your PC’s architecture. From the result of the command (see the screenshot below), that PC’s architecture is x64 bits (x64-based PC).
Note this information as you’ll need it in the next sub-section of this section.
Manually Download and Install Windows 10 20H2 Update from the Microsoft Update Catalog Website
Once you have determined and noted your PC’s architecture, follow the steps below to download and install Windows 10 update 20H2.
- Open Microsoft Update Catalog. Then, scroll through the list of updates and click the “Download” link beside the version for your PC’s architecture.
I am downloading the highlighted update because my PC is an x64-based PC. Also, ensure that you select the update that displays “Windows 10, version 1903 and later” in the Products column.
- When you click the “Download” link in step 1, the browser will display a pop-out screen. To start downloading Windows 10 20H2 update from the Microsoft Update Catalog website, click the link in the pop-out window.
- Then, wait for the update to download completely. When your browser fully downloads the update, click the file to start installing Windows 10 20H2 update.
I used Google Chrome to download the update. Thus, my browser displayed the downloaded file at the bottom left of the pop-out window. The browser may display the downloaded file differently if you’re using another browser.
- When you start installing the update, the installer will check for existing updates on the computer. If you have not installed the update previously, the installer will install Windows 10 20H2 Update.
If you receive an error message, it may be that you downloaded the incorrect update for your PC’s architecture. On the other hand, the installer may also display a message that the update has already been installed on your PC. See the second screenshot below. If you receive this message, your only option is to install the latest Windows 10 update. See the second section of this guide for the steps to do this.
How to Manually Install the Latest Windows 10 Update with Windows 10 Update Assistant
If you follow the steps in this section, you’ll be installing the latest Windows 10 update. However, if you want to install Windows 10 20H2 update, scroll up to the first section of this guide.
The screenshots in this section show Windows 10 October 2020 (20H2 Update) because I wrote this guide when Windows 10 20H2 update was released. However, as I have already said several times, if you follow the steps in this section, you’ll install the latest Windows 10 update.
Follow the steps below to install the latest Windows 10 update available.
- Click the Windows 10 update link – Microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (link opens in a new browser tab).
- When the “Download Windows 10” page opens, click Update now.
The Windows 10 Update assistant will start downloading. Wait for the file to finish downloading. If you are using Google Chrome or the new Microsoft Egge, the file download progress will be displayed on the bottom left of the browser.
- When your browser downloads the Windows 10 update assistant, click on the file to open the wizard.
- When you click the update tool, you will receive a User Account Control (UAC) confirmation request. To launch the tool, click Yes.
- Then, wait for the Windows 10 update assistant to open. To start installing the latest Windows 10 update manually, on the bottom right, click Update Now.
To confirm compatibility, the update assistant will run some checks on your computer. The page below will be displayed if the PC is compatible with the new Windows 10 update.
- To proceed, click Next on the bottom right of the update assistant wizard.
- Then, wait for the latest Windows 10 update to download to your computer.
While the update is downloading, you can minimize the update assistant and continue using your computer as normal.
- To display Windows 10 update assistant again, look for the Windows 10 Update Assistant shortcut on your desktop and double-click it.
Now, wait for the update to reach 100%. The download will take a while. When the update is fully downloaded, you will be able to install the latest Windows 10 update manually – when I wrote this guide, the latest update was 20H2.
When the update is fully downloaded, the update assistant will start updating your PC to the latest Windows 10 update.
When the update completes the first phase of the installation, you will be prompted to restart your PC immediately. The update assistant will also initiate a 30-minute countdown. If you do not select an option, after the count down, your PC will restart, and the update will start installing.
- To completely install the latest update manually and immediately, click Restart now on the bottom right of the Window.
When you click Restart now, Windows will display a notification stating that you are about to be signed out. Close the message.
Once your PC restarts, the final update process is automatic. It requires no intervention. During the update, your PC will restart multiple times.
- When Update Assistant completes the update, log in to your PC. You would have installed the latest Windows 10 update!
- To confirm that your PC updated successfully, search for winver, then open it.
Frequently Asked Questions About Installing Windows 10 20H2 Update Manually
This section answers common questions regarding the manual download and installation of Windows 10 20H2 Update (Windows 10 October 2020)
1. When Will Windows 10 Be Updated?
The latest Windows 10 update (known as Windows 10 20H2, released October 2020) is released gradually to Windows 10 PCs. When the update is available for your PC, it will be available to download and install via Windows Update.
However, if you wish to jump the queue and install Windows 10 20H2 manually, open Microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, click Update Now to download Windows 10 update assistant.
Then, open the update assistant to install Windows 10 20H2 update manually.
2. Why Is Windows 10 Unable To Update?
If you are attempting to install Windows 10 20H2 via Settings -> Windows update and the update keeps failing, try the following:
i) Stop the Windows Update service
ii) Delete every file and folder in %WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download
iii) Start Windows Update service
iv) Try running Windows update again
v) If the update continues failing, install Windows 10 20H2 update manually
3. How To Update To The Newest Version of Windows 10?
There are 2 Methods to update to the newest version of Windows 10:
1. Update via Windows Update: Settings -> Update & security
2. Download the latest Windows assistant, then manually install Windows 10 20h2 update
4. When Will Windows 10 20H2 Be Released?
Windows 10 20H2 was released in October 2020. The update is released to Windows 10 PCs gradually. When the update is available for download for your PC, you will receive a Windows 10 update notification.
However, you can opt to install Windows 10 20H2 update manually. Follow the steps from the beginning of this to install the update manually.
5. Which Is Windows 10 20H2 The Latest Version?
The latest Windows 10 update is the October 2020 update (Windows 10 20H2). Microsoft is scheduled to release the next update (Windows 10 21H1) in Spring 2021. Once the update is released, we will release the guide to install the update manually.
My Final Thoughts About Installing Windows 10 20H2 Update Manually
Microsoft released Windows 10 20H2 in October 2020. If you want to install this update after newer updates have been released, use the steps in section one of this guide.
However, to install the latest Windows 10 update, use the steps in the second section of this guide. Before I conclude this guide, it is important to mention that you strongly consider installing the latest Windows 10 update.
I hope you found this Itechguide helpful? If you found it helpful, please spare 2 minutes to share your thoughts at Itechguides Community Forum.
You could also ask a question, leave a comment, or provide feedback at Itechguides Community Forum. If you ask a question about this guide, our dedicated Customer Engagement Team will respond to your question.
In addition to that, other Itechguides Community Forum members may also answer your question.
Finally, for more Windows 10 Itechguides, visit our Windows 10 How-to page. You may also find our Work from Home page very helpful.
References and Further Reading
- Microsoft Update Catalog
- Itechguides Community Forum